Tuesday 24 July 2018

Dying in the heat




Onion skin dyed wool


My wool drying tree
















Inspired by my friend Maggie’s photos of her solar dying on Facebook, I dived under the dinette to get out my 3 solar dying jars. Last summer was far too cool & wet in the north to solar dye, so it was 2 years ago we last did any. I had 2 years worth of onion skins to use up so have done 6 jars which have given a nice pale orange coloured yarn and fibre. Plus, I consulted my friend Jenny Dean’s dying book for ideas of other plants to use. There are quite a few blackberries out which aren’t very palatable yet, but idea for the dye bath and that gave a nice pinkish yarn after about 4 days on the roof in the blistering heat.
blackberry's dying

Wool dying in jars & felted onion skin bag













Last Saturday I attended Bedfordshire Guild of Weavers Spinners & Dyers for a dying day, with chemical dyes. I joined in the Guild project to Shibori dye some fabric in shades of red ready for the Guild’s 40th anniversary later in the year. Some of my spinning projects are going to be on display on the Guild stand at Fibre-East this coming weekend.

Ruby Shibori dying drying
Stiring the ruby dye pots

Yarn & fibre in the steamer


Ooops, I splashed red dye  on Fiona
Dryed & ready to use from the steamer















We had a surprise visit from some of our motor bike club, the KGT a couple of Sundays ago. They’d been for a run out for breakfast and then on to us for tea & cake. We made plans for them to join us when we go up Foxton Locks later in the year, once our house sale has gone through.

KGT visitors


At the moment on his stretch of the Grand Union Canal we are OK for water, however, we’ve had notification from the Canal & River Trust that lots of the northern canal have already had to close as the reservoirs are dry. So we’re going to need LOTS of rain to get us all moving again.

We are really enjoying being in & around Leighton Buzzard to catch up with friends before we head north.


No comments:

Post a Comment